Discovering Geometry: An Investigative Approach
The goal of Discovering Geometry is to facilitate the internalizing of geometric properties while building a solid model of reasoning.The Teacher's Edition of Discovering Geometry is the primary tool used for addressing CCSS math practices.
Ideally, Discovering Geometry was designed so that teachers could meet their students at their current math understandings.This book is notoriously difficult to "find" online. Amazon has multiple product listings with different names that have the same reviews listed under them for multiple versions (3rd & 4th).
We've listed the editions below so you don't have to spend additional time figuring out which link is which.
Buy Discovering Geometry: An Investigative Approach
- Develop the ability to reason, justify, and prove geometric properties through constructions, measuring figures, relating patterns and properties, and discussing their findings.
- Integrate multiple construction tools.
- Include and review Algebra lessons and exercises which are integrated when applicable.
- Designed to reinforce algebra skills.
Discovering Geometry: An Investigative Approach chapter contents
- Chapter 0: Geometric Art: Geometry in Nature and in Art, Line Designs, Circle Designs, Op Art, Knot Designs, Islamic Tile Designs
- Chapter 1: Intro to Geometry: Building Blocks of Geometry, Poolroom Math, What's a Widget, Polygons, Triangles, Circles, A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words, Space Geometry
- Chapter 2: Reasoning in Geometry: Inductive, Deductive, Finding the Nth Term, Mathematical Modeling, Angle Relationships, Special Angles on Parallel Lines
- Chapter 3: Tools of Geometry: Duplicating Segments and Angles, Constructing Perpendicular Bisectors, Constructing Perpendiculars to a Line, Constructing Angle Bisectors, Constructing Parallel Lines, Construction Problems, Constructing Points of Concurrency, The Centroid
- Chapter 4: Discovering and Proving Triangle Properties: Triangle Sum Conjecture, Properties of Special Triangles, Triangle Inequalities, There Congruence Shortcuts?, Are There Other Congruence Shortcuts?, Corresponding Parts of Congruent Triangles, Flowchart Thinking, Proving Isosceles Triangle Conjectures
- Chapter 5: Discovering & Proving Polygon Properties: Polygon Sum Conjecture, Exterior Angles of a Polygon, Kite and Trapezoid Properties, Properties of Midsegments, Properties of Parallelograms, Properties of Special Parallelograms, Proving Quadrilateral Properties
- Chapter 6: Discovering & Proving Circle Properties:Chord Properties, Tangent Properties, Arcs and Angles, Proving Circle Conjectures, The Circumference/Diameter Ratio, Around the World, Arc Length
- Chapter 7: Transformations and Tessellations: Transformations and Symmetry, Properties of Isometries, Compositions of Transformations, Tessellations with Regular Polygons, Tessellations with Nonregular Polygons, Tessellations Using Only Translations, Tessellations That Use Rotations, Tessellations That Use Glide Reflections
- Chapter 8: ...View on Amazon for more information
- Chapter 9: ...View on Amazon for more information
- Chapter 10: ...View on Amazon for more information
- Chapter 11: ...View on Amazon for more information
- Chapter 12: ...View on Amazon for more information
- Chapter 13: ...View on Amazon for more information
Discovering Geometry 5th Edition
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
Discovering Geometry is not available for purchase as an online textbook. However, you can view the text on Archive.org for free (4th Edition).
Currently, a Parent/Teacher PDF is available online from k12.in.us. This includes the Discovering Geometry Investigative Approach answers/answer key. Another answer key is available from cerritos.edu. For more information visit Kendall Hunt Publishing.