8 Amazing Smudgeproof Alternatives to Lipsense
After hearing a lot about LipSense, through Facebook groups and other social media, I decided to find out what the rage is. It is a smudge-free, kiss-free, long lasting lipstick. It sounds like the ideal solution for moms that enjoy adding a flair to their appearance but don't have time to manage their appearance throughout the day. The only time I'm able to worry about my appearance is in the morning.
LipSense is so popular because a number of social influencers and bloggers decided to adopted and promote it. So how does this stuff work?
It lasts for the longest amount of time if you apply 3 coats. It should still be on when you fall asleep. Lipsense does a great job of marketing themselves as "the only" brand that can make a lipstick that doesn't kiss/rub/smudge off. Just because it seems innovative doesn't mean there aren't alternatives that didn't gain viral popularity.
The LipSense starter pack is usually $55. Each individual color is $25. Some people are becoming "distributors" just so they can get a discount. $25 per color is not something I can personally justify. (Not to mention needing to buy more gloss.) I've seen some of my friends wearing alternatives, so I decided to try them out for myself and make a list. You can find the price and colors by clicking the link which will take you directly to Amazon.
|Name||Lasts||Layers||Ease of Use||Cost||Rating|
|CoverGirl Outlast||24 Hours||1 Coat||Easy||$$$$||5|
|Maybelline SuperStay 2-Step Lipcolor||24 Hours||1 Coat||Medium||$$$$||4.8|
|Revlon Colorstay Ultimate||16 Hours||1 Coat||Easy||$.$||4.8|
|Mac Pro Longwear||24 Hours||1 Coat||Easy||$$||4.5|
|L’Oreal Infallible Pro-Last||8 Hours||1 Coat||Easy||$$$||4|
|Rimmel Provocalips||16 Hours||1 Coat||Medium||$$$||3.8|
|LipSense Review||16 Hours||3 Coats||Medium||$$$||3.8|
|Revlon Overtime Lipcolor||8 Hours||1 Coat||Easy||$$$$$||3.7|
|Wet N Wild Megalast||5 Hours||1 Coat||Med-Diff||$||3|
About the table
The "Lasts for:" column does NOT list how long the product claims it will last. It lists how long it actually lasted. This should give you an idea of the quality of the product, but know that you might experience different results.
The "Oz. cost" represents the cost per-oz, not the individual product price. This is what you are actually paying for. Our $-$$$$$ rating is an abstraction based on the real numbers and data we collected. However, because prices change, we never "hard-list" an item's price. Just click the link to check an updated Amazon price. Your local pharmacy, drug store, or supermarket might also have lower prices.
Ease of Use could be a bit more specific, but for simplicity sake we dumbed it down for the table.
I know you're busy, so here are some quick insights (both pros and cons) into the top products:
- 60 second dry time
- Very glossy
- Over time, it fades in vibrancy
- Tons of colors to choose from
Revlon Colorstay Ultimate
- By far the most moisturizing lipstick
- Doesn't feel like lipstick, you'll forget you're wearing it
- So, so smooth
- No smudge, no bleeding
- Lasted all day
Maybelline Super Stay 2-Step Lipcolor
- Thick formula
- Lasts for an incredibly long time
- 30 color options!
Mac Pro Longwear
- Formula goes on smooth, stays put, and it’s bright and vibrant
- Zero smudging, quick drying, and a smooth formula
- Make sure to clean lips beforehand
- Better gloss than LipSense
- Not a cheap drugstore brand, but still cheaper than LipSense
L’Oreal Infallible Pro-Last
- Fades after about 8 hours, but the color itself is amazing!
- Goes on smoother than most
- Thick formula
- Flaking if you don't condition your lips
- Put coconut oil on beforehand!
- Not as many colors to choose from
- Fastest drying
- Has alcohol
- Vean and non-GMO
- 3-layers means you can layer colors
Revlon Overtime Lipcolor
- TONS of options
- Easy to find in stores and online
- Great gloss
- Colors fade
- Lasts 16 hours -- pretty much the advertised length
Wet N Wild Megalast
- Does not last the 8 hours it claims
- No gloss
- Thick, chunky, and flaky
- You'll find dry spots
- Kiss-proof, but not 100% smudge proof
- Put some coconut oil on to condition lips beforehand!
You need to do the math to find out the per ounce cost. Per ounce, LipSense is less expensive.
Some women don't care but I am one that does......they DO NOT test on animals. That was the number 1 thing for me!